APRIL 10 - 15, 2012
Borderlands as Blessing
Immigration as Opportunity
The Episcopal Diocese of Long Island
Youth Border Trip to the Diocese of Arizona and Mexico
Youth (current 9th–12th graders) and adult participants will see first-hand the context of our current immigration crisis. A full day will be spent in the border communities of Agua Prieta and Naco, Mexico. Border excursions will tour health care initiatives, migrant ministries, faith based collaborations, government facilities and partnerships. We will meet and interact with people from Arizona and Mexico who live the reality of the border. We will be joined by others from around the Episcopal Church, including the Rt. Rev. Kirk Smith, Bishop of the Diocese of Arizona and The Most Reverend Katharine Jefferts Schori, Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church.
In September 2010, Bishop and Mrs. Provenzano joined with Bishops and spouses/partners from The Episcopal Church in a journey to the Border of Arizona and Mexico to witness the reality for residents and migrants there. This mission trip will give participants a chance to travel to the Southwest and see up-close a situation that affects people in the Diocese of Long Island and throughout our Church and our Country—and help to shape our perspectives on immigration as people of faith and as citizens.
REGISTRATION: Registration is limited to 12 youth, so please register ASAP! Contact Myra Garnes Shuler, Director of Youth Ministry and Christian Formation Call (516) 248-4800, ext. 18 or email: email@example.com
COST: $500—includes airfare, lodging, ground transportation, excursions, meals and conference registration. Payment is due in full no later than March 8, 2012.
TO DO IMMEDIATELY: Each participant MUST have a passport to participate in all of the activities. If you do not currently have a valid passport, you MUST apply for one immediately, so you will have your passport in time for the trip. Participants without passports on departure day are unable to go!
ORIENTATION GATHERING: Sunday, March 18, 2012— This required orientation is for all youth participants. The Reverend Seth Polley, Border Missioner, from the Diocese of Arizona will join us in Garden City to speak to us about the Crossing Over program. Parents/Guardians are also asked to join us for fellowship and information sharing.
- Depart: Tuesday, April 10, 2012
- Arrive in Tucson, Arizona
- Tuesday evening, all day Wednesday, and Thursday morning spent doing youth activities with our group and other participating youth (details TBA)
- Thursday afternoon, April 12, 2012
- Board buses to travel to Douglas, Arizona with other participants
- Dinner and Panel Discussion at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church, Douglas
- Welcome and Orientation
- Compline – return to hotel
- Friday, April 13, 2012
- Breakfast at hotel
- Border excursions into Nogales, Agua Prieta, & Naco Sonora, Mexico
- Participants return to Douglas, Arizona
- Dinner – St. Stephen’s, Douglas
- Cultural Celebrations
- Closing prayers
- Saturday, April 14, 2012
- “Breakfast with the Bishop” Turquoise Valley Golf Course, Naco, Arizona
- *Presentation by Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori
- *7th Annual “God Has No Borders” Procession
- Return: Sunday, April 15, 2012